Fertility testing for men and women
Our Northern Los Angeles area fertility clinic has many tools to help individuals and couples grow their families, but accurately diagnosing any causes of infertility is always our first step. Fertility testing for men and women gives us a baseline measure of both partners’ fertility, pinpointing any issues so that we can target treatment to maximize success.
Because many infertility issues worsen with time, we recommend fertility testing for all couples who have been trying to conceive without success for one year or longer. If the female partner is 35 or older, we recommend getting tested sooner. If you’re 35 or older and have been trying for six months but haven’t seen a positive pregnancy test, it’s time to make an appointment.
Fertility testing is also an important starting point for single individuals and same-sex couples seeking to grow their families through egg or sperm donation.
Fertility testing for men
Because a sperm issue or other male factor is either the primary cause of infertility or a contributing factor in about half of couples’ infertility, it’s important to evaluate both partners. For the male partner, we will first ask questions about his medical history and perform a general physical exam. Then, we will order any necessary tests to get a baseline measure of his fertility.
Fertility testing for men typically starts with semen analysis, which is a simple, painless test in which a sample of the ejaculate is evaluated by skilled andrologists in our IVF laboratory. By examining the semen using advanced technology, we can learn about several important factors that are critical to conception.
- Sperm count, or how many sperm are present in the ejaculate
- Semen volume, or the amount of semen in the ejaculate
- Motility, or sperm movement
- Morphology, or the shape of the sperm
- pH of the semen
- Liquefaction, or how quickly the semen converts to a watery state
We may also order bloodwork for the male partner to evaluate hormone levels. Other tests may include ultrasound examination of the reproductive organs, urinalysis, and genetic testing.
Tests to measure female fertility
For the female partner, we also document medical history and perform a physical exam similar to a gynecological exam. We will also order some other fertility tests that will help us evaluate your egg supply and reveal any other issues that could be causes of infertility.
- Bloodwork to measure hormone levels, typically performed on a specific day of your menstrual cycle
- Ultrasound examination of the reproductive organs and ovaries
- Hysterosalpingography, or HSG, an X-ray exam of the uterus and fallopian tubes using contrast media
- Sonohysterogram, a saline-infusion sonogram of the reproductive organs
- Hysteroscopy, in which a tiny camera is inserted into the uterus for a visual inspection of the cervix and uterus
- Genetic testing to identify any potential genetic causes of infertility
Get the answers you need
Once your fertility testing is complete, your physician will schedule a visit with you at our closest Northern Los Angeles area fertility clinic to explain your results and create the most effective treatment plan to help you achieve your goals.
Contact us to get started with fertility testing.